The IRS has one of the best and easiest websites to use to get information. If you are looking for a status update on your tax refund, or just want to see what is going on with the latest tax laws, irs.gov is a great resource. Here are the top reasons to visit!
- Check Your Refund Status. You can track your refund using the enhanced “Where’s My Refund?” tool. It’s quick, easy and secure and has a new look this year. You can start checking on the status of your refund within 24 hours after the IRS has received your e-filed return. You can check your refund status four weeks after you mail a paper return. The tool includes a tracker that displays the progress of your return in three stages while it is processed. Once IRS approves your refund, “Where’s My Refund?” will give a date to expect your refund.
- Make Payments Electronically. E-payment options are a convenient, safe and secure way to pay taxes. You can authorize an electronic funds withdrawal, use a credit or debit card or enroll in the U.S. Treasury’s Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
- Use the EITC Assistant. The Earned Income Tax Credit is a tax credit for working people who earned less than $50,270 in 2012. The credit can be worth as much as $5,891. Check your eligibility using the EITC Assistant tool. You may be among the millions of eligible workers who get the EITC this year.
- Figure the Right Withholding. The IRS Withholding Calculator will help to ensure you don’t have too much or too little income tax withheld from your pay.
- Request a Payment Agreement. Paying all your taxes on time avoids penalties and interest. However, if you cannot pay your taxes in full you may be eligible to use the Online Payment Agreement Application to request an installment agreement.